I love Southern cooking and I loved shrimp and grits. It is probably my favorite southern dish. Last weekend, I had a huge craving for Shrimp and Grits, but I did not have the patience to make the cream just right and I did not have shrimps at home so the idea of Shrimps and grits was tossed out the window. BUT I really wanted grits - so a quick rummage through the contents of my fridge and pantry and this is where we ended up for dinner. This recipe checks all my favorite boxes when it come to a recipe -
- Hearty Breakfast - Check
- Perfect for Breakfast for Dinner - Check
- Easy to Make - Check
- Ah-mazingly Delicious - Check
My favorite part of this recipe is the roasted vegetable - which you can substitute for your favorite veg. I have used spinacj and tomatoes here, but you can add in mushrooms, kale, celery - whatever floats your boar. Serve the veggies on a serving of grits and place a fried (or poached) egg on top. Dinner (or breakfast /lunch) is served.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grits
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Toss tomato with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper. Set on an oven safe tray and roast in oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
- While tomato is roasting, sautee spinach with olive oil, salt and pepper in a medium skillet over medium low heat until spinach is wilted.
- Cook grits according to package directions.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium low heat. Crack egg into a small bowl*.
- When oil is hot, add to heated oil gently.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cook till you have your preferred consistency.
- Plate the grits, top with half the tomatoes, layer spinach over it and the remainder tomato. Drizzle with the dripping of the roasted tomato.
- Plate egg over it. Serve.
Recipe Tip. When frying or poaching an egg, I recommend breaking the egg into a bowl to make sure there are no egg shells in the egg before preparation.