I created this recipe for the food blogger cookie swap 2014, which helped raise funds for the cure of children's cancer. However, I was not able to make them in time to mail out because I caught a nasty bug. Given that, I did not think it was a smart idea to make cookies that other people will be consuming. All is not totally loss, my swap matches still received cookies (it was sadly, store bought). I mailed them my favorite cookies and sent them the recipe for this one - I hope that made up for not receiving home made cookies.
I eventually got around to make these cookies over the weekend and they are on their way to family and friends across the country. The key to this recipe is the brown butter. So if you have a sugar cookie recipe you love, just switch out the butter with brown butter. Typically when I make brown butter , I drain it through a sift to get all the brown bits out, but with this recipe, you want to keep those brown bits - its adds flavor.
If you were wondering , I mailed the whole foods pistachio biscotti for the cookie swap. Those are seriously the best cookies ever. I always have a box on hand. Now onto the Brown Butter Sugar Cookies Recipe. Start with your favorite sugar cookie recipe, then replace the butter with brown butter.
For the Brown Butter (makes 1 cup of brown butter)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon orange juice
For the Brown Butter Sugar Cookies (makes 3 to 4 dozen mini cookies)
- 1 cup brown butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar, for rolling dough and garnish
- Cut butter into cubes and put into sauce pan over medium heat. Once butter starts to bubble up, begin stirring till butter is fully melted.
- Continue stirring until the bubble and foam is reduced and butter is browned.
- Take off heat. Stir in orange juice and brown sugar. Place back on heat and stir till the sugar is fully melted.
- Take off heat and transfer to a bowl (include all the brown bits at the bottom of the pan) and place in the fridge until it hardens back up (3 to 24 hours).
(Brown Butter Sugar Cookies)
- Preheat oven 375 F
- In a mixing, beat sugar and brown butter until it is combined. Add in the egg, milk , almond and vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and slowly add to the sugar and butter mixture, until it forms a dough.
- Wrap dough in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Sprinkle surface for rolling with powdered sugar. Sprinkle rolling pin with powdered sugar. Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut dough into desired shape, place on greased baking sheet (about an inch apart). Put cookie sheet in the fridge for 10 minute to chill
- Bake in oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Take out of oven and let it cool down .
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve (or store in airtight container for up to a week)